Monday, January 5, 2015

My favourite Gopeng Mee shop in Ipoh.

I used to frequent this Gopeng Mee shop in Ipoh when I was living there. Now that I've moved to KL, I only make occasional trips to Ipoh and this is one place I will always head to for my Gopeng Mee fix. It was originally situated at one of the old buildings along the row of lawyers offices until they moved over to the present place which is next to the CIMB on Hale Street. The road name 'Hale Street' has been changed but most Ipoh folk still refer to its original name as Hale Street.
The owner of this Gopeng Mee stall is Elvis and he remembers all his customers. He operates the stall with his wife and they serve delicious noodles. It is a twist from the wantan noodles as a gravy of shredded chicken and mushrooms. Their chili sauce is served with pickled green chillies which gives it a very nice taste.
I was there the other day when I was in Ipoh and I had to have my Gopeng Mee fix. We ordered some Sui Kow to go with the usual wantan which has prawn or chicken filling. Prices may be a bit on the high side compared with the other wantan noodle stalls but it really tasted good.






My bowl of Sui Kow and wantan in clear chicken soup.



This is Elvis, owner of the stall, busy whipping up
our noodles.




A view of the stall.




This is the Gopeng Mee with the chili sauce and
pickled green chillies.




A closer look at the Gopeng Mee.




Another view of the noodles.














The coffeeshop where the stall is situated has their own preparation of food such as fried noodles and some rice dishes. It is an old coffeeshop and has some old furniture and advertisements on the wall. A very nice place to have lunch.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have never tried this dish! Am making a mental note and adding this to my must try list. The Sui Kau looks so fresh too!

The Travelling Foodie said...

If you're in Ipoh, do give this place a try. I'm sure you will like it.